Saturday, November 26, 2011

Adapting to Lives Constant Changes So You Can Keep Dreaming and Achieving


The dictionary definition of adaptation is the ability of a species to survive in a particular ecological niche, especially because of alterations of form or behavior brought about through natural selection.

As I lived two separate lives growing up, I learned to code switch based on whom I spend my time with. If I was with my father I had to learn how to conduct myself with a variety of well to do people. But most importantly I had to do my best with the people that counted or I would get an ear full. That was one thing you did not want to get from my father.

Then there was my mother who always had to scrap for money due to the lack of financial help from my father. She only had a 3rd grade education from her home country and did not know any English. This forced her to either work for hotels or for the rich in Beverly Hills as a cleaning lady. When she didn’t have a job she had to ask for government assistance. But after the age of nine I really got obsessed with the game of baseball. Most of my time was spent playing the game. I eventually became part of the best baseball team that my high school ever had. My success in high school followed me to college when I walked on and made it to the Arizona State University team. This is an example of having a goal/dream and pursuing it until you fulfill it. To this date, this event has become a memorable accomplishment and a failure as well. But don’t let me bore you with my life, let’s consider one of the masters of adaptation: Bruce Lee, who would constantly preach about the art of having no form when fighting in order to adapt according to the fighting situation. He would say, “be like water. When you pour water in a cup it becomes a cup. If you pour water into a bottle it becomes the bottle, if you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can either flow or it can crash. Be water my friend.”

I recall reading about Bruce Lee after looking into his biography. I learned to become water and as a result eventually finished college with several degrees and credentials, all which have shaped me into what I’m now. Adaptation has been one of the key ingredients throughout my college career. But do you think that this was enough in acquiring a stable job? No, not at all, it is just the beginning. Apart from looking good on paper I had learned a lot more in order to be highly successful. I had to learn to adapt to the different cultures at every job site that I have worked at.
It hasn’t been easy but you have to be open-minded to whatever is thrown at you. Being prepared is key in your continued success in your goals/dreams. Anticipation of things to come helps out a lot when things arise. Don’t get caught off guard. 

No comments:

Post a Comment